If you want your boiler to last you a good amount of time then boiler cover is a great way to ensure you’re protected from sudden problems or breakdowns. You will likely be able to add additional services to your boiler cover, so that any repair costs are covered should things go wrong with your heating, plumbing and electrics.
Hometree was founded over five years ago and aims to become the UK’s leading brand for boiler and home emergency insurance.
With a clear and easy to navigate website, offering information about its household boiler policies, Hometree also extends its cover to Landlords. There is also a Help and Advice section for customers to easily find answers to commonly asked questions.
Boiler Cover and More
Hometree offers three different policies which are:
This is a boiler annual service that includes the boiler, the controls and the flue. If your boiler can’t be fixed then Hometree will give you a 15% discount on a new one.
When the engineer comes to give your boiler its annual service they will:
- Visually check the boiler for wear and tear or obvious faults
- Check the colour of the flame which should be blue. If the flame is orange or yellow this could indicate a problem
- Do a flue analysis to make sure it is working efficiently
- Look at the system pressure and adjust if necessary
- Clean the condensate trap if it needs to be done
- Check that the boiler starts up and shuts down correctly
- Confirm that the flue and ventilation are per current gas safety regulations
When the engineer has finished the boiler check they should give you a service report which will outline any of the problems found. Your engineer will advise you what you need to do to arrange repairs.
- An annual boiler service
- Repairs to your boiler, flue and controls
- Heating cover for radiators, cylinders and pipes
- Your gas supply pipe
- 15% off a new boiler if yours can’t be fixed
Your Home is the most comprehensive plan offered by Hometree. It includes your boiler, central heating, plumbing, drains and home electrics as set out in the other two plans, plus:
- Plumbing and water supply pipes
- Unblocking drains and waste pipes
- Faults with your wiring including circuits, sockets and light fittings. It also includes faults with your fuse box/consumer unit
- Your gas supply pipe
- 15% off the cost of a new boiler if your boiler can’t be repaired
With each of the plans, you can also add on Gas Fire Protection as an optional feature. This includes an annual service and all repairs and costs for an extra £9 a month for each gas fire you cover.
Gas fires without a flue aren’t covered and nor are gas fires with pre-existing faults. If the engineer can’t fix your gas fire it won’t be replaced with a new one.
Each plan has a pricing structure based on the amount of excess you pay. You must pay this amount towards each call-out.
Therefore if you have three call-outs in 12 months, you’ll pay the excess three times.
Price With £95 excess
Your Boiler: £12.95 per month
Your Heating: £14.50 per month
Your Home: £19.95 per month
Price With £60 excess
Your Boiler: £15 per month
Your Heating: £17 per month
Your Home: £22 per month
Price With No Excess
Do keep in mind that this cover is higher because you’re not paying any excess towards your repairs:
Your Boiler: £22.90 per month
Your Heating: £25.50 per month
Your Home: £37.99 per month
You can also add Gas Fire Cover for an extra £12 per month. This covers all repairs to a gas fire including the flue terminal up to one metre in length and an annual service.
The landlord cover gives you the same policies and benefits at slightly higher prices.
Exclusions: What’s Not Included
Below is a list of the problems that won’t be included in any of the policies listed above:
- Removal of scale or sludge or any damage caused by hard water deposits
- Showers and taps
- Sinks and toilets
- Garden equipment
- Outdoor electrics and heating
- Accidental damage
- Household appliances
- Faults caused by using someone else for repairs or a design fault
A more extensive breakdown of the exclusions can be read in Hometree’s terms and conditions.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Hometree’s Boiler Cover
- There is a plan to suit almost every budget
- No age or model limit on boilers
- No price hike at renewal if you haven’t made a claim it will only go up with the cost of inflation
- Gas fire cover available as an add-on
- 24-hour emergency phone line
- Unlimited call-outs
- All parts and labour included
- Excess charges
Many of the reviews outline the good customer service offered by Hometree, which left customers happy and impressed with their knowledge. Their customers commented on their excellent, fast service and friendly, professional engineers.
Trustpilot: 4.5/5, ‘Excellent’, (based on 1,986 reviews) 3.4/5 (based on 157 reviews)
Google Reviews: 3.4/5 (based on 157 reviews)