Baxi was founded in 1866. They have a nationwide network with over 220 Gas Safe engineers who are trained to repair boilers from manufacturers such as Baxi, Potterton and Main Heating.
Once you become a Baxi customer you have access to your online account. This allows you to book repairs, track repair progress and change appointments online through a computer, mobile or tablet.
Both cover plans offered give you an annual service carried out by a Gas Safe engineer and a 24/7 helpline.
Boiler Cover and More
Baxi offers two types of boiler cover. One is for boilers out of warranty and the other one is for boilers still in warranty.
If you have a boiler out of warranty you are directed to the Domestic & General website who have partnered with Baxi to provide boiler cover policies.
The Gold service gives you the annual service plus up to £1,500 of repairs and a replacement boiler if yours can’t be repaired or is beyond economical repair.
You also get access to the Baxi portal which offers tips and hints about keeping your boiler in good working condition.
Both plans commence services 30 days after your plan is processed.
The Baxi Annual Service
The annual check should take around half an hour and when it’s done you’ll be issued with a full-service report.
The engineer will check:
- Gas pressure and flow
- The boiler cover
- The flame, which should be blue
- Electrical connections
- Fans and other main components
- Safety devices
- The condensate trap and pipe
- Water and gas pipework
If the engineer finds a problem or the boiler stops working Baxi will carry out repairs up to £1,500. This covers all parts and labour and call-out charges up to this limit.
Baxi says 99% of all repairs are approved immediately.
During the annual visit, if the boiler fails its service and Baxi can’t resolve the problem they will approve a site visit from a service technician. Any repairs carried out by the approved technician won’t be covered if your boiler is still under a manufacturer’s guarantee.
If the boiler can’t be repaired or it is beyond economical repair you are covered for a new boiler up to £750, but you will have to pay installation costs. If your new boiler needs a replacement flue or any other modifications, these things won’t be covered.
For a boiler still in warranty, you can get a plan from £11.75 per month which is an annual payment of £141.
For a boiler out of warranty, you can get the Gold cover from £19 a month. This covers your boiler if it is less than 15 years old.
Cover, at extra cost, is available for older boilers.
The Platinum cover costs £21 per month, which is an annual payment of £252.
Exclusions: What’s Not Included
The following problems will not be included in either of the boiler cover policies:
- Repairing or replacing a boiler that has been deliberately damaged
- Damage caused by sludge or hard water deposits
- Oil, electric or LPG heating systems
- Pre-existing faults
There are other terms and conditions which you should read on their website. They can be downloaded or printed out.
Some of the exclusions include:
- No cover for an electric or oil-fired boiler, a warm air unit or a combined heat and power unit or any equipment containing asbestos.
- You won’t be covered for clearing out any sludge or blockages in your heating system or problems caused by hard water deposits.
- If you cancel your plan after you have had a boiler repair you will have to pay the cost of the repair.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Baxi Boiler Cover
- Monthly payments mean you aren’t tied to a long contract, but there is the option to pay the full annual cost
- No call-out fee
- No excess payment
- Replacement boiler up to £750
- Central heating cover available
- The website could be improved to provide better information
- Plans limited to boiler and heating, no plumbing plan available
Baxi generally has positive reviews across customer review sites. Most people comment on their efficiency and helpfulness.
Trustpilot: 4.5/5, ‘Excellent’, (based on 30,137 reviews).
Baxi are a Which? Trusted trader. They have a 4.5 /5 rating (based on 35 reviews) and they are recommended by 86% of Baxi customers.